Monday, October 19, 2015

Colonial Invasion


Colonial Invasion
Friday, October 16, 2015 at 8p.m.
Charles E. Smith Center
Panorama of Colonial Invasion before the show started

Colonial Invasion demonstrates the epitome of GW Spirit. It is the GW pep rally where the athletic and GW talent communities come together and put on a show. Parents, students, or anyone a part of the GW atmosphere are welcome to come. It is a lively #OnlyatGW moment that unfortunately is under-appreciated and under-attended

Capital Funk Performance
I received an email on Wednesday, October 7 from the main event planner asking if I could help emcee part of the event. Of course, I immediately responded yes (what can I say, I love the spotlight.) Lauren, the event planner, graciously responded with her excitement and said she would be in touch with more details. Time went by and finally on Tuesday, October 13, Lauren sent me and my emcee buddy, Nicholas, our script. Nicholas and I had a few witty back-and-forth before we introduced the next act: Capital Funk. Lauren asked to meet with us before the event to go over the lines. We met on Thursday afternoon and definitely made Lauren a little nervous because neither one of us had memorized anything yet. We practiced our lines a few times and received the basic information: what to wear, where to go, and when. All in all our meeting probably took about 15 minutes.

On Thursday night there was a full Colonial Invasion rehearsal, however Nicholas and I both missed it due to conflict. I heard it was pretty productive. Then, the big day arrived. Around 7:45 pm, I arrived at the smith center and headed to the backstage green room before my 8:30 pm call time. I saw GW Bhangra, the a Capella group: the Mother Funkers, ROTC, and other performance groups warming up. I did not see Nicholas. I took a seat in the back opened my laptop and began taking notes on the event. Time went by slowly. Around 8 p.m. I noticed that the doors had not been opened, people were still running around frantically testing mics, checking lights, and still no Nicholas. I didn’t see any other emcees either so I started to get a little worried that I was in the wrong spot.


Backstage before I went on 

Around 8:15p.m., the doors opened. Students and parents slowly shuffled in to seats along one side of the gymnasium. Still no Nicholas. Had Nicholas flaked? Was I in the incorrect spot? These thoughts crowded my mind and I began doubting my preparation. I tried to calm myself by rehearsing my lines—at least I had that under control.




Just as I was about to call Lauren, she busts through the door. Lauren calls for the Mother Funkers to take their spot at door two and she catches my eye. Very calmly, Lauren walks over to me and asks if I would please go sit in a different section. To this moment, I am not sure if that was a change or if I was in the wrong spot--let's leave it a mystery.

Josh and I as emcees
While Lauren and I made our way to the new section she filled me in on a couple other crucial changes. I would no longer be coming backstage when gymnastics ends but actually when President Knapp finished. I would be entering from door two rather than three. And finally, Nicholas had unfortunately fallen off his bike and was off to get x-rays. When I heard all of those token changes, I laughed and said the classic event planner line: the show must go on.


A shot of a piece of the gymnastics
floor brought backstage
And so it did. Thankfully after that brief, yet essential conversation things seemed to go a little smoother. Everyone, including the back-up emcee, Josh, was on-time to the very crowded backstage area. To go on a slight tangent: there were a couple of floor rearrangements during the show. The basketball court was the stage with pipe and drape covering one side. In the beginning of the show, there was a gymnastics floor laid down. After the gymnastics’ routine, the floor was picked up by the cheer squad, first ladies, and gymnastics and switched to a cheerleading carpet, all done under the distraction of the a Capella group the Mother Funkers. Once the Spirit squad finished, that floor was picked up and hoisted backstage during a Fight Song rendition done by some freshmen parents playing on the jumbotron. The final stage was the basketball floor. It was amazing how the transitions flowed into one another due to the different talent distractions.

Once I did my part as emcee, I was welcome to stay and watch the show. It was an exciting event full of dunking competitions, George dancing strangely to the side, and excellent event preparation demonstration as pieces did not go as hoped (i.e. Nicholas).

Colonial Invasion Stage. Pipe and Drape in background
I have gone to this event numerous times as an undergrad. I never fully appreciated it until this year when I worked it. Between the different acts and needs of the performers all while dealing with some not-so flexible or committed personnel, the show is truly a dynamic beast.

Like with any event, there were some major and minor issues. However each one was handled expertly. My main critique is we need to market this event better next year. Only one side of the stadium was filled, probably around 800 guests, and with all this talent in one night I feel the entire GW community should want to attend. Either way, I was so proud to be a part of such an incredible event that truly demonstrated the strength and patience an event planner must have. 

That’s all folks—Emcee Jacqui out! *Drops Mic* 



No comments:

Post a Comment