Sunday, December 6, 2015

Three takeaways from Event Management Course in 2015



Can not imagine that this coursed is already finished and I cannot see my lovely classmates every Thursdays. During the class, Pro. Levy gave us different surprises on every class, playing different games, going different field trips which are so interesting and I really enjoy the class. To pick three things that inspired me the most in class, they are:

1.     The application of the practical software
After a semester, I learned three softwares. At the beginning of the class, we first used MS Project to create the Getz graph and time line, the templates are so functional that after class I also used the budget template to manage the event in Jacky Morton Auditorium, where I part-time work. Though complicated to used at the first time but the functions are considerate for event manager’s need, actually, it provided me a clear thought to write documents.
The "Team Conversations" and "Team Calendar"
functions of Asana
Meanwhile, I also learn how to use Asana website to manage tasks online, which is quite easy one. Compared with Asana and MS project, Asana is better to communicate and assign tasks to teammates online, while MS project is more multi-functional to create budget plan, getz graph, etc, which is better to write systematic report for events. These two softwares can be combined to use together.  The social table website is the one that benefits me the most. It takes short time to learn and to create layout for events, much more convenient than Photoshop and words which I used to draw by. The certificate for Social tables brightens my resume, proving my ability for event design. Social tables will be an important tool that I would like to use for design competition and also future work in event industry. As mentioned in my information interview by Leslie Zeck, one of the competitiveness of young workforce, who don’t have much working experience, is more innovative and more accessible for new technology and management methods. I am glad that Levy design these parts of courses engaging us for learning software.
My design on Social Table. showing in 3D version

2.     Make connection with people in your dream position
In two field trips, we get to know the hotel managers in Gaylord, the leaders in Social table. And in the information project, I get to know the Director of Meeting in International Association of Dental Research. All of them showing us the latest information about their career, which makes us more specific and clear about our career goals and the path to walk through it. They also gave valuable opinions about how the HR view the international students and what we should do to optimize our advantages. After I get in touch with them, all of them encourage me to further stretch out and know more people and opportunities.

Here I would like to share a link: Methods for how to connect with People 

3.     Learning from classmate
In all the courses I took this semester, this course is the one that gave us the most opportunities to get to know our classmates. As most of us are at the concentration of event management, it’s funny to know every classmate’s career goal and background. During the term, I get to know all of them are diligent to study and have different strengthens that I should learn from each others. About half of the classmates own jobs while studying for a master degree at the same time, so that they usually share insightful experiences from their works, which are quite interesting to know more about experiences in event industry, to combine the theory and management practices together. It’s a pleasure experience to study with potential and diligent classmates. Also I want to mentioned I love the part Pro. Levy asked all the classmates to make comments about our presentation in the last class. When I went back home and read them, I was so impressive! 
Thank you you guys for giving me appreciation and also valuable criticisms. That’s such warm as a gift that I received from the last class.
All the comments I collected for my presentation in the last class



No comments:

Post a Comment