Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Top Three Takeaways


The end point is where I begin again. This blog is the end of my trip in Event Management Course, but what written in this blog would keep me company in my following study and career. I am going to share the top three things I take away from this course.
1.Evaluation and Improvement
The strategic plan is the very beginning of an event, and the key point to make an event success is to monitor and evaluate it carefully. I remembered when we discussed about the Gunn Chart of BBQ Barbecue Case, all the group members agreed that an evaluation and overview should be added both during the process and in the end of the project. Evaluation is not just numbers, it requires a overall review of every aspect of the event. It allows us to learn from the past, and create the best in the future.
2. The Gaylord Field Trip
The most impressive field trip in this course was the one to Gaylord National Harbor Hotel. The managers from Gaylord gave us a big warm welcome, and they were so nice to show us around and answer all our questions. The biggest takeaway from their stories is that not to be afraid of starting from the bottom. Starting with operation maybe hard, but it would be unexpectedly valuable. It may be the best opportunity to highly expose to people, and learn about the most important skill in my following career-deal with all kind of people.
3. Informational Interview
For the first time, I have a chance to interview a professional from the industry. When I learn about this project in our first class, I’m afraid and nervous. I didn’t know where to start, and I do not know whether or not I could invite an interviewee successfully. I sent out my first invitation email to Mr. Hennessey with worry. To my surprised, I got his response only in a few minutes, he said yes, he is more than happy to help. During the whole process, for every time, he did everything he could to help, shared all information I need, and always gave me quick feedback at his earliest convenience. As he mentioned in the interview, for people who work in event industry, the most important thing is to be nice and friendly, he treated people with warm heart. I was impressed by Mr. Hennessey’s smart idea of marketing, his great methods to provide food and beverage services when there is a limitation in the venue, and his passion in treasuring and protecting the Anderson House. I’m so lucky to have a chance to interview him, I would not learn that much otherwise. From my perspective of view, informational interview is a deeply networking. It helps to built up a deeper relationship, and provides opportunities to deeply learn about a person, a position, an organization, and an industry. My interview with Mr. Hennessey may not perfect, it still made me learn and think, and encouraged me to keep going in this way.




No comments:

Post a Comment