Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Blog #4: Top Three Takeaways

Top Three Takeaways

I have learned so much in such a short time during this course and am truly grateful for the opportunities it has given me to grow in and out of the classroom. Here are my top three takeaways!

1. Informational Interview - Networking

While the informational interview was one of the most nerve-racking assignments this semester I am grateful that it was assigned to us. It pushed me outside of my comfort zone to network in a way I don’t I would not have done otherwise. Not only do I better understand how to request and conduct an informational interview I gained a wealth of knowledge from my interview subject on what it takes to build relationships in the meetings industry, build my professional reputation and how to drive the success of my own business. Additionally, I gained a mentor and access to a network of meeting professionals I would not have been able to connect with otherwise. 




2. Gaylord Hotel Field Trip

The Gaylord Hotel field trip was one of my favorite class experiences. It provided us with the opportunity to better understand what it takes to manage a hotel and how that plays into supporting meetings and events on their property. I never considered a position with a hotel as a meeting planner because I felt that I would not have the same involvement in the event planning process as a hotel staff member. However, this field trip made me consider the possibility of working in a hotel after completing the MTA program. While Gaylord properties are unique convention properties I see the value of what hotel meeting planners do a lot better now. I also understand that there is much more than what meets the eye that the job entails. It was exciting to see how well the staff understood all aspects of the hotel and company to better serve the meetings and events. It was also great to hear from an MTA alum on his journey with the company!


3. Social Tables Field Trip - Meeting Design 

This field trip was such a unique experience because it offered so many learning components outside of a traditional field trip. During this field trip I was able to understand meeting design not only through our text book but through hands on experience learning how to use the software. Additionally, how technology can enhance our events experience is something I have always been interested in. So it was very exciting to see and hear about what SocialTables is doing to change the meetings and events industry using cloud-based technology.They are helping to better plan and design meeting space layouts in real time by connecting both the property and the meeting planner in a way they have not been able to communicate before. Finally, I also really appreciated the opportunity to get certified in their software as this is something I would like to continue to develop as a skill! 



No comments:

Post a Comment