Sunday, October 11, 2015

Volunteer at Snallygaster 2015

What is Snallygester?
On September 12 2015, I volunteered at a beer festival which is call Snallygster. This name comes from a fearsome and toothy mythical beast. In this festival, more than 300 incomparable craft beer and cider was unleashed. People who love beer, music and fine food would definitely love it. What distinguishes Snallygaster from other beer festivals is that it serves as the largest annual fundraiser for Arcadia, a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a more equitable and sustainable local food system in DC area. Money raised in this event would be used to support the operation of demonstration farm in Alexandria, 2 mobile markets that make weekly stops to low-income neighborhoods.
People are crazy about CBS!
I arrived at 10:30 am that morning. After checking in the volunteer tent, I got my blue volunteer T-shirt. As what I was told, I headed to the LEVIATHAN zone, and was assigned in the third tent by my manager. There were 4 beers sold in one tent.

The Tent I Volunteer in
My task is to pour beer for attendees and collect their tickets (tickets serve as money used in this event, which would be included in attendee’s admission package, 1 ticket=$1). I was so lucky that day, because I got the Foundation CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)-the most famous and popular beer in the festival. It was sold out in just 1 hour! In the rest of the day, almost everybody stopped by our tent to look for this famous CBS, I have “ I’m sorry, CBS is gone/CBS is long gone, come earlier next year!”. For many attendees, CBS is the reason why they come to this festival. Why CBS is so popular? Well, it hasn’t been brewed in years, the last time it was distributed was 2011. Besides, CBS is aged in barrels that are first used to age bourbon, and then used to age maple syrup. That means barrels that are qualified for aging CBS only available two or three times a decade.

CBS
Great atmosphere, great people!
It was a rainy day on Sep. 12. When I got on the metro, I thought there may not be too much people attend this event since it was such a terrible day for an outdoor event. To my surprise, it was crowded for whole day on the yard where Snallygaster was held.

A Lot of People Came to Snallygaster Despite of Bad Weather


People Talking with Friends
In the afternoon, most people who attended Snallygaster got tipsy. They danced to the music, greeted and talked with friends, families and even strangers. They joined different teams to participated in games.

Band in Snallygaster

Game for Attendees
Standing for a whole day to serve people, I didn’t feel tired, because I was so impressed by this great atmosphere. People enjoyed beer here, at the same time, they had fun in their own way. When a guy staggered towards me with his beer hug, said, I run out my tickets, can I have more beer, I can sing for you. I know that what he treasured was not just the beer, but a wonderful day of having fun and relaxing.
It is the first time I experience a festival in the United States. I really had a great time here. I met new people in this event, Cortnie is what I think coolest one. She is so warm-hearted and volunteered in a lot of amazing events. I think I will sign up for volunteer in Snallygaster next year, because it’s such a good and memorable experience.


Cortnie and I

No comments:

Post a Comment