Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Take a Taste of DC

As a food lover, the last thing I would miss out is food festival. Last Sunday, I went to the Taste of DC with my roommate Bonnie. It was a 2-day event. We volunteered on the first day, Oct.10, so we got a free admission for the second day. When we entered, we got a stamp on the back of our hands. That little stamp proves that we’re over 21.

This event was held at Pennsylvania Ave. 3rd – 7th Streets NW. Walking all the way down, I could always see the Capital Hill. That was the most “DC” part for me, even more DC than the food here.

There were more than 60 DC restaurants and 10+ food trucks in this event. For me, it was a perfect chance to get a quick glimpse of food in DC. Since everything is something new to me, I’ve been through a hard time to choose what to try. Rather than finishing tasting items alone, Bonnie and I decided to share every tasting sample we got, so that we could try as much food as possible. We tried 7 kinds of food in total. Among them, the Tender Rib and the lobster roll from Luke’s Lobster were our favorite.  

I think the most interesting part in this event was the cooking stage. There were different chefs teaching people some simple and delicious dishes that could made at home. It was a special element in this event other than selling and buying. Some guests were even invited to the stage to take one-to-one training. For those attendees who got chance to take this free cooking class, an amazing recipe and practical techniques may be their biggest take-away from this event. I was not one of them though, I still think it was a good way to draw attention and leave a good impression.

I had a great time here, and went home with a full stomach. I’ve already started expecting the Taste of DC 2016. A staff told me that the anticipated attendees for only the first day is 20,000-30,000. I remembered there was always a long line in front of almost every food serving tent. When communicating with a girl, she told me that it was the third time she went to Taste of DC. Even though I didn’t conduct a in-depth survey about this event, I believed that girl was just one of a large mount of people who came to this event year after year.

Daniella (Danying)

No comments:

Post a Comment