Tuesday, November 24, 2015

A night out with the HIP Network-Tracy Pope

Through our GW email listing, I receive one such email from Jackson Lassiter, for an opportunity to attend a local organization’s event. Hospitality Industry Professionals Network, Inc. (HIP).

This organization is a professional network for influential Gen Y/Millennial (in addition to Boomers) Association & Corporate Planners and Suppliers who are eager to challenge the status quo and answer the new business challenges of today. Through a series of strategic events, year-long conversations and innovative educational series, HIP Network aims to align new ideas and fresh perspectives within the meetings, events, travel and the hospitality marketplace.

They’ve hosted over 84 networking events since they were founded in 2008 and provide educational opportunities to event planners in the industry.

HIP Network produced 50 events, 39 of which have been in the DC area and attended by more than 10,000+ industry professionals and helped facilitate 40,000+ planner and supplier connections.  

I attended an event the coined "First Look" that took place on November 18th, 2015 at Pennsylvania 6 which is located on I St NW, Washington, DC. This recently renovated spot offers the best raw bar and as they say "One of the best restaurants in downtown DC". It offered an opportunity for planners to network as well as showcase the venue so that we can see its versatility. I know they want us to lure our clients to this awesome spot. Very nice indeed I must say but for me, no real parking opportunities!

They provided free appetizers, all raw and a selected list of wines and beer. I indulged in some of the food (smoked sliced ham and shrimp cocktail) with green olives because there isn’t much I will eat raw… that was sufficient for me and I took in some wine although I am not a wine connoisseur so I don’t care for it unless it tastes like a sweet drink. I sat at a table that boasted many event personnel who worked for the Government and thought that was awesome that they get to work for the Government and do events. One lady I met worked for the U.S. Department of Interior and she was funny, had us all cracking up like we were in a comedy show!

I had a great time finding out what these people do for the Government in relation to events and of course, I had to ask for job opportunities. 

Because this was on a Wednesday night, I ran over time and was slightly late for my Statistics course. Hopefully one day soon before I retire form the Federal Government, I can get to serve in this capacity as an event manager. I may consider joining this group for other opportunities to network even though it is not a national organization but it is free {the magic word :-)}.

http://www.hipnetwork.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment