Saturday, November 7, 2015

XX ANOC GA 2015 Washington, D.C. Volunteer


The Association of National Olympic Committee (ANOC) General Assembly was held in Washington, DC on Oct. 29-30. The fist time the meeting has been held in the United States since 1994ANOC represents more than 200 national Olympic committees.  I had two shifts of the volunteer job in Washington Hilton.  One is at Welcome, Information and VIP desk. The other one is for meeting room set-up. We had a 2hours' orientation before the volunteer day. At the orientation, volunteers got their T-shirts and name cards and got familiar with this assembly and also the volunteer work.



For the first job at Welcome, Information and VIP desk, there were five volunteers included me of this job. We arrived at 8 and waited until almost 10. Someone in charge distributed jobs to us.  There are two information desks  in the hotel, one is set in front of the hotel gate and near the front desk. The other one is set in the terrace level.  I learned about locations of different stuff first. Such as the location of information desk, restroom, and others locations guests may want to know. Then I got a list of questions guests may ask, and read the sample answers. After these preparation, I stand near the entrance of the hotel and guided people who need help. When there was not much guests, I assisted other volunteers' work.  Also, when the manager needed other help, we would do that.


                                                 meeting room of General Assembly

The second job was for meeting room set-up. I was responsible for checking and placing all the flags of countries and name plates. There was an ordered list which I used to check whether these flags and name tags were in right order and in their place. When I was checking the order, I found out that a name tag was misprinted. And I reported that to the manager.


                                                name plates with flags and checklist
 After all these checking things, we finally place these name plates on the meeting tables guided by another layout document.


                                                        the manager and volunteers

After the volunteer work, I received gifts, certification and also a thank you letter by email. Overall, I enjoyed this experience. People were nice and friendly .  And I'm glad that I can be part of this successful assembly.

No comments:

Post a Comment