Saturday, November 28, 2015

Top Three Learnings

Throughout the semester, I learned a variety of a helpful tips I can take with me into my career in the event management industry. However, three learnings, in particular, stood out:

1. Risk Management

Before this class, I always knew that risk management was an extremely important aspect of event planning. However, I have learned that my understanding of risk management was very basic and not nearly as extensive as it should be. This class has taught me that risk management is an “ongoing process of assessing risks that may threaten attendees, the meeting/event, the organizer, or partner-supplies, and applying the appropriate measures to manage the probability and consequences of such risks.”  Risk management is not simply considering high probability and high-risk scenarios, but it is also the consideration of smaller and less likely risks.

2. Negotiating



Negotiation has never been my strong suit. However, this class has provided me with a stronger understanding of the dos and donts of negotiating. Through the multiple in-class role-plays and assigned readings, I feel more confident in my ability to negotiate successfully. My top negotiation takes-aways were the following:
  1. Know your “nice to haves” as well as your “must haves” 
  2. Don’t rush into making a decision
  3. Understand the other party’s hopes/needs
  4. Aim to minimize conflict, reduce resistance, and achieve a win-win outcome



3. Informational Interview

In my opinion, the informational interview project was one of the most important elements of the class. This project pushed me to reach out to an event professional and create an extremely important connection that will help me advance in the industry. From researching the position to the actual interview, I was able to learn so much about event and meeting management. Clare’s insightful answers and amazing advice provided me with a firsthand account of the industry, more than I could have gained through simply taking a class or reading a book or journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment