Saturday, November 7, 2015

XX ANOC General Assembly Washington, DC 2015 Volunteer



The Association of National Olympic Committee (ANOC) General Assembly were in Washington, DC at the end of October.  There were over 1,200 Olympic executives from 206 countries and a large number of volunteers involved in this activity. I participated in volunteer works for two days: one was doing Copy & Logistics Support, and the other one was doing Meeting Room Set-up. Before the official beginning of ANOC, volunteers were required to attend a short orientation that was about the announcements of volunteer work and enabled us be familiar with the structure of the hotel. This was the first time I felt that I was a part of this team and I had responsibility to finish my work well.



For the first shift (Copy & Logistics Support), I mainly did some preparation work for the meetings, such as packaging souvenirs, printing documents and classifying brochures. When I was doing the printing work, I was thinking about the sustainable question. Each document needed more than 600 copies. Except for the paper, the ink, the folders and many other materials caused a great waste. I was just wondering whether there was substitution or not. Maybe there would be in the next committee. 

For the second shift (Meeting Room Set-up), I did a lot different works. In details, I distributed umbrellas and brochures at the front of the bus, answered questions at the information desk, guided in the hotel lobby and so on. There was no denying that it was a fruitful day, but it did not mean that the arrangement of volunteer work was flawless. 


  • Time Management: When I arrived the venue early at 8 am, I could not get my work immediately and even waited for more than one hour.
  • Work Distribution: Even though I signed up the work of Meeting Room Set-up, I still needed to wait for leader’s arrangement. I should go where director needed staff.
I think volunteers should follow what they have signed up instead of being called and ANOC could arrange a few more volunteers in the flexible group in case the emergency happens. 

All in all, this was really a rewarding volunteer work and I strongly felt that the Olympic Games was coming.


No comments:

Post a Comment