Friday, November 20, 2015

Top Three Lessons

Top Three Lessons from Event Management Course

Throughout this semester, I have learned about all areas of planning and organizing events. A few things stuck out in my mind as being the most helpful.

1. My first main learning is in the area of risk management. It is important to think through all possible risks of hosting an event and not just the obvious ones. You have to identify the risk, analyze the risk, plan for the crisis, and respond to the crisis. Well, hopefully you only have to do the first three. It was helpful to look at the case studies and brainstorm about all of the possible risks with my classmates to see their perspectives about what can happen. It is always useful to have more than one person looking at the possible risks of an event, and I learned a lot from the way they approached it. 



2. The second top learning I had was from our field trip to Social Tables. One slide they presented was on journey mapping which encourages you to look at all aspects of the event. There are 8 stages: announcing, attracting, anticipating, arriving/entering, experiencing, engaging, exiting, and extending. These stages represent all of the attendees' experiences to do with the event. When I am planning events in the future, I will make sure that I am considering all of these aspects and not just the experience during the main part of the event. 
It was enlightening to see Social Tables employees so passionate about what they do.




3. My third main takeaway has to do with our semester long informational interview project. I learned that if you ask in a professional manner, people are willing to help you! In the past, I have always shied away from requesting informational interviews because I felt like I would be taking up too much of the other person's time and they would not want to do it. I will be more likely to reach out to people in the future because I had this successful and positive experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment