Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Attend AMPs Monthly Meeting


In November 10th, I attended a monthly meeting of AMPs (The Association of Meeting Professionals) in Hyatt Place DC. All the AMPs meetings would charge non-members and members a certain amount of money, but they are all totally free for students. It was the first time I participated in an associate meeting. I was a little nervous before going. The meeting started at 5:30 pm, I arrived at the hotel on time. I got my badge on registration desk. Do you know why there is a cute red sticker on my badge? I will tell you later.
                                     Hyatt Place DC                                              My Badge

There was a reception on the first floor of the hotel, people could have some snacks and talk with each other. Mr. Wall, the director of sales in Hyatt Place DC gave a presentation to introduce the hotel, which I think was really smart. Since most attendees for this meeting are event planners or event suppliers, it was a great opportunitie for him to meet his potential customers and introduce this new hotel. After that, the committee members of AMPs gave a short welcome speech. To my surprise, this meeting was not a “real meeting”. That was a chance provided by AMPs for event planners and suppliers get together to conduct some activities. The Activity for that night was Citizen CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) Training. All the attendees were divided into four groups based on the color of stickers on their badges. I, of course, was in red group. I and my group members were guided to a meeting room in second floor of the hotel.

 
Mr. Wall's Presentation
Reception

The American Red Cross instructor taught us how to conduct CPR, and hand out a small “ambulance” made by rubber to let us practice pushing on it. Then, we were required to team up with people, each team should be consisted with two people. People in the same team were required to practice the whole process of CPR for each other. My partner was Mr. Phil Rappoport, the vice president of AGENDAPOP. To be honest, I was disappointed a little bit when I knew that activity for this meeting is CPR training rather than educational programs with industry related knowledge and new trends. However, the great experience I shared with Mr. Rappopat changed my mind. I found that in this way, we had more opportunities to interact with each other. He told me his stories, and share with me his experience working in this industry.
CPR Training-1
CPR Training-2
At the end of the event, Ms. Dobson, the sales manager of Hyatt Place DC offered to show us the guest room, it was small but warm and pretty. She planned to show us to rooftop garden of the hotel, where we can get a perfect view of downtown DC. However, it was a rainy day.
Guest Room-1
Guest Room-2
I ended up my experience in this lovely meeting with satisfaction. I talked with many people that night, all of them are so nice and so willing to talk and share. That encouraged me to continue networking, and helped me to be confident to talk with people. I sent each of them thank you emails next day, and luckily got some responses. I got encouraged in this event, and decided to work harder to act proactively in the following time. I hope it’s never too late to be proactive.




No comments:

Post a Comment