Friday, December 4, 2015

Top 3 Moments from TSTD 6277

I cannot believe I am already writing this blog post! It feels like yesterday I was sitting in the first class still in denial that I was starting graduate school. But like time, I moved forward and gained a few tokens of knowledge along the way. So as we countdown to the holidays, please read below my countdown to the best learnings I had this semester:

Image result for champagne
1. The importance of ethics:
Ethics is character, dependent on your environment, and the basic"right" and "wrong" discussion. Or so I thought. It really is much more. Our discussion expanded my small foundational understanding on the topic. Now when I am pressed up against a tough ethical dilemma, I have the seven questions to review and feel more confident in my final decision.
With the new questions to ask myself before proceeding with the action will ensure me that my decision was well thought out and the one I want to pursue.

1. Is it legal?                                                                           5. Would I care if it happened to me?
2. Does it hurt anyone?                                                          6. Would I publicize my action?
3. Is it fair?                                                                             7. What if everyone did it?
4. Am I being honest?

2. The Gaylord Experience
I was floored by our visit at the Gaylord from how kind everyone was to the massiveness of the hotel. I knew the Gaylord was known for having everything under one roof, but I did not comprehend what that meant until we visited. Not only was everything under one roof, but there were options! What surprised me most were the different components working together to make a cohesive brand and a smooth running business. From the banquet operations team setting up the massive events to the conference coordinators checking on rooms to the sales director booking clients, each piece was essential for the whole package.
06ea9c1e be0f 11e4 be0a 22000aa61a3e~rs 729
Cherry Blossom Room
It was really special when Ashley took the time to discuss work/life balance and the importance of the taking care of one another. Hence, why the Gaylord has so many perks for its employees: gym, free dry cleaning, etc. Or when Trent and Amy took the time to show me different rooms, like the Cherry Blossom room with those amazing chandeliers.
Fun Fact: Amy informed me the Gaylord started putting up Christmas decorations in July!


3. Sales: benefits vs. features
Whoops, I have been doing sales all wrong until this class! In the past, when I gave my GW pitch to lacrosse recruits I would talk about the cool events I went to or the rare opportunities I had. After this class, I realize these are all features when I should have been discussing the wonderful benefits of GW. Although hearing about Lady Gaga's visit is unique, instead I should rave about the plethora of courses and proximity to the White House. As I learned events rely on the event planner's ability to sell: to the boss in order to have the event, to the audience to come, to the vendors to participate, and the staff to work, the sales techniques become evermore crucial. Each piece needs the communication skills of a sales person and the organization of an event planner. The sales portion of the class will be, I believe, the most used lesson in my future.

Event management was a wonderful introduction to the event production skill-set I will strengthen as I enter the working world. I enjoyed how the lessons were tailored to real-life aspects: visiting companies, case studies, or the in-class role playing. The learning technique allowed for maximum retention of the lessons. So with that being said, I will sign off. Farewell and here's to transforming skills learned into skills practiced.

No comments:

Post a Comment