Sunday, December 6, 2015

My Top Three Takeaways From Event Management Course

As I am writing this blog, I realize that my favorite course in this semester is coming to an end. I've had so much fun with Pro. Levy and our lovely classmates. This class is different from any other class that i'm having now. It has multiple different learning methods which are both educational and interesting. Everyone is discussing and sharing. I really like this class atmosphere. Besides, I have top three takeaways from this course.

1. Negotiation Skills
I'm a considerate person and I work well with details. I always have a lot of thoughts on mind but I cannot convey the information effectively. The contract negotiation exercise is one of the most memorable practice I have had in this class. It gives me an overview of how negotiation works and how to negotiate efficiently. It not only about what do you want, but also about what do you think what others want. Negotiations aim to minimize conflict, reduce resistance, and achieve win-win outcome. You should be open, honest, sincere, forthcoming. Take a serious, sincere interest in how to maximize benefits for both of you and your partner. And details are really matter. Furthermore, focus on other's pressure, not yours.
It opens up a new door for me and I find myself really into this practice. So i decided to enroll in the conflict management and negotiations course next semester to learn more on this area.
                                      


2. Field Trip to Social Tables
It is the first time that i learn to use an event technology. It's interesting to play with it. I found how events design has benefits from technology. And I learn that designing an event is not as easy as it appears. You should take a lot of into consideration. And you are not only designing a layout, but also designing an attendee experience. I develop strong interest in event designing field and I wish to learn more in the future.
The field trip was more than perfect! I have to say that Social Tables is really cool! The company is awesome and people are so funny and nice! It is the first time that i ever emerge myself in an American company, know their culture and values, know what they are doing- the feelings with Gaylord was not that strong. I feel no matter how much the working pressure is, i'd love to work in such a great atmosphere that people around you are passionate, enthusiastic, reliable and know what they are doing. This experience makes me want to go to the work market sooner. I'm willing to do more field trip and I hope professor can take us out for field trip more as MTA students next semester.
                               



3. Informational Interview
The informational interview is really a good idea especially for the new students and emerging professionals like us. I have confused and anxious for a long time since I first came to this country, with English as a second language which not as fluent as native speakers, not knowing what should I do currently.

It gives me courage to go outside and meet people, build my own networks. And it provides me great opportunities to know the answers of questions that have confused me for a long time. I realize how important to build connections and relationships. And how important to learn from people.

It's great idea for students who are not sure of their career path and have not making up their minds to pursue a job opportunity. Getting to know people from a potential position that we are interested in, learning from their experience, listening to their advice, are helpful to us to plan on our own career.



Besides, I'm also gaining a lot from professor Levy and our excellent classmates by listening to other's story and opinions. I finally realize that how much fun in our industry. We are not only event planners, we are creators. Thanks for this amazing class. I'm moving forward with all my takeaways from this course!









No comments:

Post a Comment