Wednesday, December 9, 2015

My Different Kind of Experience Working a Wedding!

I’m usually behind the desk of wedding, planning all of the logistics prior to the big day. On Sunday, December 6th,  I was center stage as an assistant to a caterer (who prefers to remain anonymous) at an all vegan wedding.  I was pleasantly surprised when I asked the chef how he deals with the craziness of bridezillas. His reply was that they come in for a tasting and then final guest count and menu selection and it ends there. The day of, I arrive and execute and they are usually in such awe of what we do because my food is “THAT GOOD” he says with a wink.

During my shift everything ran like a tight ship. There was a schedule that the manager stuck to by the book and she delegated tasks to make sure we were on time. Since it was a winter wedding and the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception took place in the same room. Everything for the wedding had to be set and ready to go in two hours. It was a lot of work but being steadily busy made time fly by.  I even learned how to fold fancy napkins.


This is how the the entire wedding took place in one space. Guests sat in the front half of the room. 





Depending on the quality of food of caterer and  by working a few more weddings, I would consider staying in the wedding industry from the catering perspective.  The manager handles the logistics, bypasses the bridezillas, and is amidst all of the action. It seems like the best of both worlds as a possible career choice.  On a side note I would also like to add the vegan red velvet cake was to die for! 

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment