Friday, December 4, 2015

Top 3 Learnings!

Top 3 Learnings from Event Management

I am sure most of us are having mixed feelings about ending this course in Event Management. We are excided because exams are over and the holidays are ahead of us, but at the same time we are just little bid sad that we don’t get to meet up every Thursday night anymore. I feel especially sad, since I don’t even get to be on campus here at George Washington University next year. So before I start – thank you all, fellow student and professor Levy, for a great learning experience, great company and some funny late Thursday nights. I appreciate it!

... On to what I have learned!

1. Informational Interview Process.
One of the most interesting learning experiences this course gave me is without a doubt related to the informational interview. By being forced to actually consider which job position I could se myself in in the future started a valuable thought process about my future carrier path. My interview experience definitely made me more sure about what my ambitions for the future is, and which future experiences and job positions I should pursue when I finish my degree next year.

2. Fieldtrip
Another important aspect I have valued during this semester is the great insight into the industry of meetings and events and what it actually encompasses. I will highlight our fieldtrips. Through fieldtrips it has ben clarified how big this industry actually is and how many possibilities and work experiences there is to pursue and explore. The same goes for the events we had to participate in during the semester to do the blog posts. It was inspiring to learn some valuable lesson about the industry – And doing so without only reading about it in books!

3. Objectives and KPI’s
It might sound really basic, that the importance of objectives and KPI's is mentioned here. However, when dealing with events it is easy to forget that there are many different aspects that need to be covered in order to create valuable events – and especially that many of these aspects needs to be correlated. It is not enough to have a great objective for an event if you don’t know how to measure the success of that event through KPI’s and making sure that you actually achieved what you set out to do. learnings like these is something I will try to remember when working events in the future. I feel like I got a much more holistic picture of the different components that is important to the event and meetings industry through the lectures and readings in this course.

Overall, this course has given me some essential insights into the industry and broadened my horizon. I will also ad, that it makes so much sense that this course is grounded in practical exercises that made us “get out there” and experience the industry four ourselves, giving us the opportunity to use what we have learned in class in real life.

I have had a great time!
And, please let me know if anyone of you ever get to Copenhagen! The best of luck with the rest of your experiences here at GWU. 




No comments:

Post a Comment