Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Grape Expectations!

I asked a few of my classmate what types of events they were attending and they all seemed be going to major events and conventions in the DC area. I decided to take an alternative approach and attend an event in my local area, Gaithersburg, MD. Upon searching I found an event at one of my local beer and wine stores Grape Expectations and they were hosting a wine tasting on Friday, December 4th. At first I was confused, and then intrigued, how could a little store that sells booze possibly host an event?






To my surprise it was quite a sophisticated and fabulous event. We entered a dimly lit room with the filled with the hum of classical music and guests gathered in groups talking among themselves.  The sommelier was very knowledgeable and presented us with free samples of four different wines from California. He walked us through the flavors and notes. I’m not much of a wine drinker but I really enjoyed the ambiance and experience of trying the different blends. Just as we were leaving a live band started setting up to play light jazz music for the rest of the evening. It was such a nice touch.


What I really appreciated was how creative the owners were at creating a way to interact with their customers and increase business. According to the sommelier, drinking wine is experience and Grape Expectations created an avenue for their customers to have the experience in their store for hours as opposed spending five minutes grabbing a bottle and heading out. He more time customers spend inside the store, the more money they are willing to spend. This event showed me that there are nontraditional ways of having a career event planning. I could easily consult with small businesses managing unique events to help set them apart from their competitors and interact with their customers. As a side note we passed a beer and wine store a few doors down and I was complexly empty, I think Grape Expectations has the right idea.

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment