Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Things I Learned This Semester

This semester has been very insightful in event management. The top three things I learned are:

1. From doing my informational interview I learned that I am better at networking one on one than in large groups. I realized that I make a better impression and I feel more comfortable when I can sit and connect with the person I am speaking to. In large networking I get intimidated and I never know how to approach someone.

2.  I always knew project management was vital in event planning but I wasn’t aware of the tools that can make this a lot easier. I really enjoyed getting to use MS Project and ASANA. I really liked that ASANA allows you to set up email reminders to help you stay on task. This is something I will absolutely utilize in the workplace.




3. I learned there are multiple avenues for event planners. When I would think about possible career choices as an event planner I would picture myself as a wedding planner, convention planner, or meeting planner. What I truly appreciated was listening to my peers during the informational interview presentations. I was able to quickly learn about other possible career tracks that I would have never considered taking or knew even existed. This really opened up more options for me as I apply for future jobs. There were projects about event planners at major clothing companies and even planners that work with professional athletes, both industries I would love to work in but did not consider. 

~Kristen 

No comments:

Post a Comment