Tuesday, December 8, 2015

World Bank Group Tourism Forum 2015:Driving Development through Tourism

World Bank Group hosts inaugural global forum on tourism on Dec 8-9, 2015,  in Washington, DC. 

The World Bank Group has a substantial portfolio of lending, technical assistance and investments in the tourism sector. Sustainable tourism is increasingly being recognized as a powerful tool for poverty alleviation, economic growth, sustainable development, social inclusion, and as an effective instrument for peace building. Tourism is one sector in which the developing world has a distinct advantage, possessing unique assets that can be actively leveraged. But there is much more that still needs to be done.  

                                                      schedule flyer of the forum
I registered this forum through email that be sent to GWSB students. Students do not need to buy tickets. The forum is totally free. Also, it has breakfast and lunch provided. The register time is from 8:00 to 8:55 am. I arrived late because I took lyft which I thought would be quickly to getting there. Unfortunately, I forgot the rush hour in the morning. Therefore, that time, to attend any event  held in rush hours, take metro. 
When I got the building of world bank, guiding was very clearly. At the front entrance, the staff told me to take the right door. I was confused and then I figured out why. 
                                      security and the right door to guide ways to event
Then I went through the security, anything made by metal must be placed in the security checking box. And I went through the door two times to make sure I were safe to the venue. This was what different from other industry events before. Then I registered and got name card. As I already late, the president of World Bank Group was giving a speech, I had breakfast until the opening ended. This whole process was very smoothly and official. Then I listened outside for a while. It said that the forum will focus on how tourism can contribute to the twin goals of poverty reduction and shared prosperity. It will also address ways in which the World Bank Group, global leaders, and policy makers can work together to deliver on this agenda. Also, the event will be held at the World Bank Headquarters and broadcast globally online. 
                                                    after the security, breakfast area
                                               overall looking of the meeting room 
Then came the first session. I walked in and sit in last row because I could quickly have a sit without bothering others. President & CEO of Hilton Worldwide , CEO of AirAsia Berhad and Vice-Minister for Tourism gave a short speech of tourism for development which brings together global thought leaders and proven achievers to identify new ways to channel growth while addressing the challenges and opportunities of developing the tourism sector in emerging economies.  I felt uncomfortable that the room was big but the seats were not stair-stepping. Therefore, sitting in last low had a very bad view of the stage and all the things were by hearing. I thought this could be improved next time. When the session was going to have an end of 10:20, staff was holding some cards and asking whether participants had any questions.
                                                     staff was asking for any questions

I just attended for half a day and I also met one of my interviewee who was working in World Bank. We talked for a little bit. During the coffee break which was just after the first session, I knew a new friend Siyi who studied in Cornell for hospitality major. We talked a lot about the school and work. Also, we had dinner together. I think the coffee break time is really a good chance for networking. Unfortunately, I do not have enough time to participate in whole two days event. But the forum is really worth attending. 



No comments:

Post a Comment