Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Top Three Takeaways From Event Management Course

As the 2015 fall semester is going to have an end, I have to say that TSTD 6277---Event Management course is the best course compared with other three coursed I've taken this semester. I learned a lot, not only academic knowledge but also practical skills. There are three takeaways that I want to share.
Top3  Case Study

For all the cases we have to get fully prepared before each class. It is a good way to learn about actual event, not only learn "how to do" with textbook. For students who do not have much working experience, case study is an efficient way to  know the event, such as how to plan, how to overview the event, how to deal with the problem and who are stakeholders. Also, by watching case video, it is also interesting, as least for me. Also, we highlighted the risk items, made budget and timeline for an event.

the case we learn a lot from

Top 2 Software

During this semester, I learned how to use MS project to make timeline of Haskayne BBQ event. At first, I thought it was hard because I totally did not know this before and also I had other courses homework to do in two days. Therefore, I were a little bit anxious. But after I finished that Gantt Chart, I felt a great sense of achievement. 

Also, for the social table trip, I learned to use Social Table to simply design an event layout. This is also the first time I learned to use a software to design a layout. I have to say it was so interesting. And definitely, I enjoyed it! When I was pursuing bachelor degree, I was responsible for designing all the posters for my association. I love design. Therefore, I combined my thoughts and using Social Table to express my ideas which was really awesome. There's another thing to mention----- working atmosphere of Social Table is so relax and positive. Love this field trip.

                                                                 presentation

Top 1 Networking!

Networking is really important! From small group discussion, game in class to informational interview project. I kept on networking even I'm not good at it. Dr. Levy always offer a chance or give recommendation for us to seize opportunity for networking, knowing more people. At first, I thought the interview project was so hard. But finally, I found five interviewees using my methods. I got what I wanted to know and also kept touch with them.  Also, recommendation by Levy would offer great opportunities, such as GW tourism alumni network.
                                               



No comments:

Post a Comment